The Mechanics’ Institution & Swindon Railway Village
Swindon’s Mechanics’ Institution and Medical Fund Society were pioneering in their provision of education, leisure, health and welfare services to the newly arrived, industrial working class families moved to the Railway Village to work in the GWR workshops. These organisations, while supported by the rail company, were organised by the workers for the workers.
This resource pack contains several different resources taken from the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre’s archives and local studies collections. The main resources are photos, maps and census returns which can be used individually, together and in conjunction with the stories and images in the Stories section of this website. Together they provide a detailed picture of life in the Railway Village from its foundation in 1843.